Sunday, December 19, 2010

Hanna's Pay it Forward

Part 1

What is "Pay it Forward"?
Pay it Forward is an idea where you volunteer to help someone while expecting nothing but for that person to help another person in return. This idea was introduced by 11 year old Trevor in the movie 'Pay it Forward'. In this movie, Trevor's social studies teacher, Mr. Simonet, gives his class an assignment to come up with a plan that will change that world. Trevor's plan was to help 3 people and ask them to 'pay it forward' to 3 other people each. Those 9 people would then 'Pay it Forward' to 27 more people causing the amount of people paying it forward to increase and spread out.


Part 2

What was your "Pay It Forward" act of kindness?
My act of kindness for "Pay it Forward" was donating non perishable foods to Winnipeg Harvest.

Why did you choose this activity?
I chose to do this because a lot of people don't have any food to eat and I had food in my cupboard that my family doesn't need. Apparently, my family had to rely on Winnipeg Harvest back when I was a toddler so this is also a way to repay them.

Who did you help?
I helped some families get food to eat on the holidays.

What did you do?
I embarked on a journey through my kitchen, scavenging every nook and cranny of it's cupboards in search of any non perishable foods I didn't need. I then stored them away and brought them to Winnipeg Harvest the next day.

When did you do your act of kindness?
The next day (aka December 18th 2010).

Part 3

How did your act of kindness go?
I think that my act of kindness went along smoothly. It wasn't very exciting though since all I did was drop off some food at Winnipeg Harvest on the way to my mom's doctors appointment.

What happened?
Not much happened. I just hopped out my car, walked into Winnipeg Harvest, put down my box of food, walked outside, hopped into my car, and off I went.

How did you feel?
I felt nice knowing that the food will go to a family that needs it.

How did the person or people react?
The person I brought the food to was glad but she didn't say much other than "Thank you" and "Just put it over there".

Did you ask the person or people to "Pay it Forward"?
I didn't ask her to "Pay it Forward".

If you did not ask the person to "Pay it Forward" how come?
I didn't ask her to Pay it Forward" since I forgot but I don't think I would have to since she works for Winnipeg Harvest, an organization that helps thousands of hungry people each month by giving them food to eat.




Part 4

Why is the idea of "Pay it Forward" important?
I think that "Pay it Forward" is important because people may start helping or get helped more often and people might start thinking of other before themselves more. Also, if everyone keeps on "Paying it Forward" to other people, this idea can spread all over the world and, maybe someday, everyone might see "Paying it Forward" and helping complete strangers as something people do everyday.

Has your act of kindness made a difference?
I think that what I did made or will make a difference to the family(s) that will receive the food since they'll have some food to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment